This workshop is designed for educators with all levels of experience with the WIDA Standards Framework, including those new to WIDA tools and resources.
This two-day workshop provides educators with a fresh look at how to engage multilingual learners in rigorous content area learning with a balance of challenge and support. The purpose of the workshop is to encourage educators to consider classroom practices that move multilingual learning forward and upward together within the content of meaningful experiences where learning is mediated through language. Participants will explore how rigorous, well-sequenced curriculum contributes to rich classroom interactions that mediate learning and move students toward independent success. Topics that educators will explore are a) valuing students’ resources for learning, b) developing a strong community of learners, and c) engaging students in rigorous curriculum.
In this workshop, educators will:
- Connect workshop learning to a shared experience
- Engage in making meaning together through readings, videos, and discussions
- Draw on and build on their own experiences
- Reflect on their classroom practices.
Participants will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of scaffolding practices based on prior knowledge, new learning, and shared experience.
- Build awareness of macro- and micro-scaffolding practices that apprentice students into language use for content area learning.
- Consider how students’ resources can support learning.
- Recognize the importance of establishing a collaborative community of learners that moves forward and upward together.
- Examine ways to engage students in exploring language use for content learning.
- Develop a vision for Scaffolding UP in your context.
- Welcome and Opening
- Origami Experience
- Scaffolding UP
- Valuing Students’ Resources for Learning
- Developing a Strong Community of Learners
- Learning that Builds Forward
- Welcome and Review
- Developing a Strong Community of Learners (cont.)
- Engine of Language Development – Collaborative Reasoning
- Engaging Students in Rigorous Curriculum
- Moving toward Complex Texts
- Joint Deconstruction and Construction of Text
- Strategies for Implementation
- Developing a Vision for Scaffolding UP
Interested in bringing this workshop to your school or district?Contact us
for prices and scheduling.