This introduction to the WIDA Spanish Language Development (SLD) Standards centers around an asset-based approach to teaching and learning Spanish within academic settings. Participants will explore WIDA standards and tools, such as Los descriptors Podemos and Can Do Descriptors, and reflect upon implications for instruction in bilingual programs. Activities and conversations will focus on maximizing meaning making within academic contexts and the linguistic repertoires of multilingual students in bilingual programs. The workshop also engages participants in discussions around unique language practices of multilingual students, such as translanguaging, and ways educators can align Spanish and English instruction across their bilingual program.
This workshop is designed for Spanish/English bilingual K-12 educators, administrators and support staff with some or little experience using the WIDA Spanish Language Development (SLD) Standards.
- Reflect upon the unique language practices of multilingual students
- Use the WIDA Standards Framework to compare and contrast the focus of Spanish and English language instruction
- Identify key language features in the language development of multilingual students
- Use the expressive WIDA Performance Definitions to determine students’ linguistic strengths
- Identify ways to use WIDA standards and tools for planning language instruction and assessment.
- Welcome Nuestro Camino al Bilingüismo: Reflecting on language and identity
- Language and Learning
- Multilingual Practices: Translanguaging
- WIDA Framework Components
- Using WIDA Standards and Tools
- Planning for Instruction and Assessment
Interested in bringing this workshop to your school or district?Contact us
for prices and scheduling.