This workshop is designed for general classroom teachers and English language specialists who share instructional responsibility for language learners. No experience in using the WIDA Standards Framework is needed for this workshop.
English language learners need instruction that is differentiated to meet the needs unique to learning an additional language and grade appropriate content. Participants will approach the idea of differentiation of language from an asset-based perspective, recognizing that language learners bring many contributions to the school community. Participants will collaborate to customize instruction for ELLs utilizing the WIDA ELD framework. While planning, participants will have time to reflect on how to create productive struggle in a safe learning environment.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe what language differentiation means in the instruction and assessment of language learners.
- Describe how educators take into account content, product, process, and environment as they identify student language differentiation needs.
- Use the WIDA Performance Definitions to analyze student writing and identify student language differentiation needs to guide professional conversations about students.
- Describe the pathways for language differentiation (i.e., supports, domains, classroom talk, etc.).
- Describe how scaffolds and supports engage language learners at various levels in the language of a lesson.
- Create a differentiated plan for a specific teaching context (collaboratively or individually).
- Introduction & Logistics
- Establish a common understanding of differentiation
- Know your students: Where do I start?
- Develop a student portrait or resume
- Sociocultural context and the learning environment
- Identify the language demands of the learning tasks
- Academic language exploration
- Review & Day 2 objectives
- WIDA Performance Definitions
- Scaffolds & Supports
- Focus on Differentiation Bulletin
- Apply learning to classroom language differentiation
- Examine strategies that support all four language domains
- Classroom talk
- Action Plan
Interested in bringing this workshop to your school or district?Contact us
for prices and scheduling.